Monday, October 10, 2011

APE 2011: My mini comic haul!

This was was my first time attending APE (Alternative Press Expo) and it was a blast! For first day of the show I primarily spent my time soaking everything in. I'll be honest, for the first couple hours I was a little overwhelmed. Unlike San Diego, where I have a plan of who and what I want to see, at APE I really had no idea what to expect. The hall was filled cool looking books and great artists, almost none of which I had heard about before! Everything was new and exciting. I didn't wind up buying much on the first day, but on the second day I really took my time browsing through tables. By the end of the weekend I had a stack of books I couldn't wait to read!


Now, over a week later, I still haven't read everything but some of my favorites so far are:

Zebratron: A weird, stream of consciousness mini-comic that is hilariously bizarre. Almost every panel contains a little comedic gem.
Pope Hats: A neurotic main character who gets visits from an imaginary talking cheese stick.... it's really funny.
Crime World: A dry, dark comedy about a man who does bad things. It's like a cutesy version of "In Cold Blood"
Malaise Trap: A well told, first person narrative about an obsessive collector.
Danger Country: The first chapter of an epic fantasy adventure.
Tales of Good Ol' Snoop Doggy Dogg: A small collection of comic strips about dreams the cartoonist had containing Snoop Dogg.

I still have a lot more to read, but overall the books have been great. They're full of unique points of view, interesting stories, and cool art; they're definitely not your average comics. Go check 'em out!


No comments:

Post a Comment