Friday, September 23, 2011

My Mini Comic - By The Slice

So I finally finished my mini-comic, By The Slice. Cecilia Latella did a great job and I couldn't be happier. But let's start from the beginning.

I took a class at Meltdown Comics on Sunset Blvd on how to create your first comic. Yes, I'm a newbie comicbook writer. So I knew I needed to learn the basics (paneling, captions, word balloons etc.) before getting in touch with an artist to execute the story. As soon as I finished the script I went on Deviantart, posted on a forum looking for a penciller/inker and received many responses. It came down to two artists, both showing interest and talent, but I liked Cecilia's style and storytelling. She signed onto the project and we finally starting the creative process. She living in Italy, while I in California, meant emailing back and forth almost everyday.

I had written a fourteen page script about a post college girl working at a pizza place. It's a slice of life story between employee and employer. Her liberal views are challenged by her un-PC boss' business practices. When the job becomes more of a headache than a paycheck, she becomes bitter--much like her boss.


The working relationship between Cecilia and I went smooth. This has our names on it so we both wanted it to look good. After months of collaboration, it was ready to print. I took it to a local copy shop and now I have a box full of mini-comics. But it doesn't stop there.

I called Meltdown to see if I can sell it for cheap in their store and they were very accommodating. I walked up to the counter, they paid me for 5 copies and put it on the "new" shelf in the middle of the store. That was really nice of them! He complimented the comic and said, "Tweet away! Tell everyone it's here."

I know I still have a lot of ground to cover but for me who has a tall stack of unpublished/unoptioned/rejected stories...today was a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment